Skip to content

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

Under this visa, parents and guardians of students under the age of 18 can apply for this visa.

You will need to provide appropriate accommodation, support and for the general welfare of the student. Alternatively, a relative over the age of 21 can apply for this visa as long as the parent/guardian approves in writing.

If you are applying for this visa, you have to prove that you:

are a genuine applicant who will enter and stay in Australia as a student guardian, and
must have the financial capacity to apply for this visa by showing enough funds for the costs and expenses of your intended stay and the costs and expenses of all your family unit members.

Student visas

There is one combined visa Subclass 500 which was introduced on 1 July 2016 that is available for students who wish to study in Australia.

Courses you can study under this visa:

  • Independent ELICOS.
  • Primary and secondary Schools.
  • Secondary school exchange program.
  • Vocational education and training (VET).
  • Higher education- including:
    1. a diploma,
    2. an advanced diploma,
    3. an associate degree,
    4. a bachelor degree,
    5. a graduate certificate,
    6. a graduate diploma,
    7. bachelor honours degree,
    8. masters degree.
  • Postgraduate research:
    1. Masters degree (research)
    2. Doctoral degree.
  • Non-award courses- non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award.
  • International students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

Before you decide to come to study in Australia, you have to choose what and where you will be studying. Make sure that the education provider you choose is registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). The only two exceptions that allow students to study in non-CRICOS registered institution are applicable to Foreign Affairs/ Defence sponsored students or students undertaking approved secondary exchange programmes.


Under the new simplified framework, the risk outcome which determines the level of financial and English language evidence depends on:

  • which country you are from, and
  • who your education provider is.


Generally, you will need to have enough money to:

  • pay for your course fees,
  • travel expenses, and
  • living expenses

for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia. That money does not have to be held under your name as long as it is available to you for the purpose of your study in Australia.

Back To Top